Veronika989

Skin making in Second life - What is it?

Since I faced some sarcastic comments about my work. I wanted to show you, how Second Life skins are made.

If you say "SKIN" in Second Life, that DOESN'T mean only the skin color of the character. SL skin is literally a virtual skin with every detail you see - lips, eyes, eyebrows, nails, nose, nipples, shading, everything you see on the outside of the avatar except hair and clothes. These are made separately.

This is basic template. You have to paint entire skin layer on that in 3D software on mesh model or in Photoshop. It doesn't really matter which way you do that.  

So, before you do another sarcastic comment "Oh wow, skin color! That must be really hard to make!" make sure you know something about that, please. Because yeah, it actually requires alot of patience and time.

SL-Avatar-Head-1024.jpg

SL-Avatar-Top-1024.jpg

SL-Avatar-Bottom-1024.jpg

This is the character with basic templates and without Skin.

8dbfd9c3b00c1db9419d8cacea748f14.jpg

4dc92fad0191077d830c81a2e3843f5e.png

I think the adjetive of "sarcastic" is applied to my comment in the other thread. As I said there, I think there has been a missunderstanding. I did not want to be rude (although i understand that my comment could be considered this way). Sorry for that.

I have found your work really shocking, and I'd really like to know more about it.

7 hours ago, hj27 said:

I think the adjetive of "sarcastic" is applied to my comment in the other thread. As I said there, I think there has been a missunderstanding. I did not want to be rude (although i understand that my comment could be considered this way). Sorry for that.

I have found your work really shocking, and I'd really like to know more about it.

Looking at your comment again, it still look sarcastic to me. If I was shocked about someone else's work, I would say it differently. I mean c'mon, that comment is degrading my work. "Skin??? Wow... Soon there will be artists about nails, noses, ears..."  Never mind. I don't wanna start discussion about that in here. Apology accepted.

On 25/5/2018 at 6:44 AM, Veronika989 said:

Looking at your comment again, it still look sarcastic to me. If I was shocked about someone else's work, I would say it differently. I mean c'mon, that comment is degrading my work. "Skin??? Wow... Soon there will be artists about nails, noses, ears..."  Never mind. I don't wanna start discussion about that in here. Apology accepted.

Thanks. It's a peculiar way of accepting apologies (two messages)... but ok... fine ...

On 24.5.2018 at 5:32 AM, Veronika989 said:

Since I faced some sarcastic comments about my work. I wanted to show you, how Second Life skins are made.

If you say "SKIN" in Second Life, that DOESN'T mean only the skin color of the character. SL skin is literally a virtual skin with every detail you see - lips, eyes, eyebrows, nails, nose, nipples, shading, everything you see on the outside of the avatar except hair and clothes. These are made separately.

This is basic template. You have to paint entire skin layer on that in 3D software on mesh model or in Photoshop. It doesn't really matter which way you do that.  

So, before you do another sarcastic comment "Oh wow, skin color! That must be really hard to make!" make sure you know something about that, please. Because yeah, it actually requires alot of patience and time.

SL-Avatar-Head-1024.jpg

SL-Avatar-Top-1024.jpg

SL-Avatar-Bottom-1024.jpg

This is the character with basic templates and without Skin.

8dbfd9c3b00c1db9419d8cacea748f14.jpg

4dc92fad0191077d830c81a2e3843f5e.png

Wow, this is looking like a very difficult work to do! Never imagined how much it takes to create anything in SL...