ArjenDesign

Didn't Make The Cut

The life of a freelance artist can be pretty tough - even getting people to take you seriously and agree to let you do paid work can be a huge hurdle. But it's not the companies and projects that never respond that really bring me down, but the ones that I almost get to be part of, only to find that I just barely wasn't good enough. I've had projects where they were interviewing several artists, and I was interviewed, but in the end, they went with a different artist. That kind of dismissal really stings - you get so close to finding something that'll help you pay the bills, only to find that you missed it by a hair.

How do you guys deal with rejections from jobs and projects like that? Where you were so sure you could be a part of it and get some paid work, but then it turns out you were wrong?

18 hours ago, ArjenDesign said:

The life of a freelance artist can be pretty tough - even getting people to take you seriously and agree to let you do paid work can be a huge hurdle. But it's not the companies and projects that never respond that really bring me down, but the ones that I almost get to be part of, only to find that I just barely wasn't good enough. I've had projects where they were interviewing several artists, and I was interviewed, but in the end, they went with a different artist. That kind of dismissal really stings - you get so close to finding something that'll help you pay the bills, only to find that you missed it by a hair.

How do you guys deal with rejections from jobs and projects like that? Where you were so sure you could be a part of it and get some paid work, but then it turns out you were wrong?

the life is tough for anyone but it has ups and downs. as for me if there is rejection for a job i wouldnt make a big deal (even if i wanted it too much) i would think next please and in the mean time make myself beter and think about what went wrong and work on it.  maybe u were good enough but there was someone else who could sell it beter or was more experinced. ur time will come.:)

I find very interesting stoicism philosophy. It was the most extended philosophy among Roman legions, and teaches how to respond to success and defeat.

Indeed I remember the saying "If there is no struggle there will be no progress" me too is on a tough time but through this tough time I need to get more focused from those with a positive thinking friends and other people on the social media or in here on the forum!

Yeah, that sucks. That's also the reason why I don't take part in any of these "jump through these hoops for days, doing unpaid examples and we'll see" tricks that seem to be appearing every now and then. Luckily there are also good employers, so you just need to stand your ground and make them see why you are the perfect fit for the job. Easier said than done, I'll give you that, but there is no other secret to it.

Ray    8

Begin work on a new project.  Make it something so ambitious that it will eclipse everything else in your portfolio.  You'll either finish it and be better prepared for the next job, or you'll get interrupted by some paid work and have to finish it later.

Well, I always worked in the company and did not do freelancing, so I have no opinion on this issue. The main thing is not to give up and you will succeed.

On 5/20/2018 at 8:37 PM, ArjenDesign said:

I just reassure myself hoping that my opportunity will come. Never allow setbacks to keep you down. 

On 5/24/2018 at 8:50 PM, Ray said:

Begin work on a new project.  Make it something so ambitious that it will eclipse everything else in your portfolio.  You'll either finish it and be better prepared for the next job, or you'll get interrupted by some paid work and have to finish it later.

I'll echo this comment, but with a slight twist.
Go into everything trying to eclipse your previous work, but understand that if you don't end up making something great, you are learning how to avoid making those same mistakes again.  Your experience will grow and it will show in the work your next potential clients see.

On 25-5-2018 at 3:50 AM, Ray said:

This is a good idea, but I always end up thinking too big and end up having to give up due to the sheer scale of my idea or hire a team (which I don't have the finances for).