Oema Resident

HOW IMPORTANT REALISM IS IN A SECOND LIFE® PHOTOGRAPHY?

The photographic realism in Second Life®: a question of style.

The question may seem provocative, in fact, it’s a question I’ve been thinking about for a few days. In particular, I wonder when it is relevant that there is realism in a portrait of a SL® avatar.

[READ ALL]

Essa irmã que nunca me deixa só...♪

I would say it depends on what you aim for. Realism for the sake of realism is not always productive, as for many the whole point of creating art in the first place is to be able to create something that is unrealistic, to let their imagination to run wild. But realistic CGI always does blow the mind, and especially nowadays when creating such is not only limited to billion dollar companies!

yes, but talking about realism in Second Life I think it is essential to get a good image. The only limitation is that, if we are talking about fashion blog images, it is preferable not to modify them so as not to induce deceptive advertising.

I think there is a strong relationship between immersion and realism. A world doesn't need to reflect reality entirely, but it certainly needs a similar authenticity. I've seen a lot of Second Life avatars that follow that line of thought, but I've also seen my share of people using the image of popular characters or just bizarre appearances.

15 hours ago, Oema Resident said:

yes, but talking about realism in Second Life I think it is essential to get a good image. The only limitation is that, if we are talking about fashion blog images, it is preferable not to modify them so as not to induce deceptive advertising.

Now I have to admit that I'm not all that familiar with the subject, but when your content is 100% CGI, I think that everyone can agree that it won't reflect reality in the first place, no? So using that for marketing seems a bit weird to me to begin with, unless they're just some niche specific filling for the layout, in which case this is a non-issue anyways.

Ray    7

I like your image.  It's very nice.  As to the question of realism, it's more a question of taste.  Most artists cannot achieve what you've achieved here in terms of realism.  But that being said, when working in CGI, the realism of model, texture, lighting, and character effects such as hair, and character motion can be overdone.  The result is termed "uncanny valley", and it makes people uncomfortable.  On the other end of the spectrum, almost anyone can make CGI look so unrealistic that it has no production value whatsoever.  I think, for a non-moving picture, you're hitting a sweet spot here.  Nice work!

On 21/5/2018 at 8:47 AM, Cahoot said:

Now I have to admit that I'm not all that familiar with the subject, but when your content is 100% CGI, I think that everyone can agree that it won't reflect reality in the first place, no? So using that for marketing seems a bit weird to me to begin with, unless they're just some niche specific filling for the layout, in which case this is a non-issue anyways.

I have not talked about marketing about realism and quite the contrary. I explained the reasons why it is not ethical to modify images that are intended to promote products to be purchased. Realism in SL is desirable when it comes to portraits, profile photos, etc. as in the examples I have listed in the article.

I'm not (yet) very familiar with SecondLife and SL photography. I think, how realistic it is and/or it has to be depends on your target group. Do you do the art for you? Do you do the art for other purposes or for other people? What do you want to achieve with it? Depending on the answers ist the grade of realism you'll have to have...

Btw: I love the pic you posted!

5 hours ago, BiankaB said:

I'm not (yet) very familiar with SecondLife and SL photography. I think, how realistic it is and/or it has to be depends on your target group. Do you do the art for you? Do you do the art for other purposes or for other people? What do you want to achieve with it? Depending on the answers ist the grade of realism you'll have to have...

Btw: I love the pic you posted!

Yes, these topics are all explained in the article :)