Cahoot

How do you get over your writers block?

Writers block means the phase you feel like banging your head to the wall when no creative juices flow at all. This very morning I ran into one, having picked up my guitar but just not being able to come up with anything worthwhile when trying to write a new song. How do everyone else deal with these situations?

Here you can find a scientific studio around this. It's very clear and can be extrapolated to your case perfectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unsuccessful_self-treatment_of_a_case_of_"writer's_block"

The unsuccessful self-treatment of a case of "writer's block" is a humorous academic article by psychologist Dennis Upper about writer's block. It contains no content outside title and journal formatting elements, including a humorous footnote. Published in 1974 in a peer reviewed journal, Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, it is recognized as the shortest academic article ever[1] and a classic example of humour in science,[2] or at the very least among behavioral psychologists.[3] It has been cited at least 60 times.[4]

I think the worst thing you can do is hit your head against the wall trying to force yourself. Create some distance between you and the subject matter and take good care of yourself - indulge in things that you enjoy, that inspire you. See if you can watch/play whatever movie/series/game inspired you to start your career or meant a lot to you. Once you've given yourself some room, try again.

18 hours ago, hj27 said:

Here you can find a scientific studio around this. It's very clear and can be extrapolated to your case perfectly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_unsuccessful_self-treatment_of_a_case_of_"writer's_block"

The unsuccessful self-treatment of a case of "writer's block" is a humorous academic article by psychologist Dennis Upper about writer's block. It contains no content outside title and journal formatting elements, including a humorous footnote. Published in 1974 in a peer reviewed journal, Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, it is recognized as the shortest academic article ever[1] and a classic example of humour in science,[2] or at the very least among behavioral psychologists.[3] It has been cited at least 60 times.[4]

I'm not really sure what's your point here? The linked content is like the exact opposite of the whole thing, which makes me wonder did you even read it yourself, or am I missing something here?

On 4/10/2018 at 3:45 PM, Cahoot said:

Writers block means the phase you feel like banging your head to the wall when no creative juices flow at all. This very morning I ran into one, having picked up my guitar but just not being able to come up with anything worthwhile when trying to write a new song. How do everyone else deal with these situations?

In a similar scenario like this, I just take a stroll, talk to friends and when I'm done I would have been rejuvenated to get back on it. 

4 hours ago, Cahoot said:

I'm not really sure what's your point here? The linked content is like the exact opposite of the whole thing, which makes me wonder did you even read it yourself, or am I missing something here?

It was meant to be a joke. I posted a scientific study (it is a real publication) that is related to your comment. Basically the author of that study was to publish information in how to overcome the writer's block and he was apparently unnable to write anything. It is considered the shortest official scientific publication ever.

I read about it some time ago, and your comment reminded me about it.

To me if you are a lover of God all you to do is pray then the Spirit of God to help you and lead you. Because that is how I do things too 

what i do is to switch my attention from the task at hand, switch on my tv or hang out with friends and by the end i usually get back my creative groove. 

Yeah.... It's happened alot to me. 

What i simply do is to leave it and stroll around and listen to some cool music.

Sometimes I go sleep and wake back fresh. 

For me when I can't seem to put it together or come with bright ideas like I usually do, I do something fun n stop trying to force it. The mind works best when not being pressured to perform like its a boss of itself...exercise is a great way of rejuvenating the body for perfect compliance. 

5 hours ago, SmartEarner said:

For me when I can't seem to put it together or come with bright ideas like I usually do, I do something fun n stop trying to force it. The mind works best when not being pressured to perform like its a boss of itself...exercise is a great way of rejuvenating the body for perfect compliance. 

Yeah, I think that this is indeed a major thing in all creative work. It's just easy to get fed up with it when nothing seems to be happening for days, so you just try to make it happen, conversely just making the problem even more profound.

On 4/16/2018 at 5:05 AM, leppyj said:

what i do is to switch my attention from the task at hand, switch on my tv or hang out with friends and by the end i usually get back my creative groove. 

And what if you do all this and the situation still repeat itself

15 hours ago, Gmercy said:

And what if you do all this and the situation still repeat itself

the situation has never repeated itself,  but if it does,  i will have to repeat the process again

6 minutes ago, leppyj said:

the situation has never repeated itself,  but if it does,  i will have to repeat the process again

OK that is you keep on repeating the process until it appear no more

1 minute ago, Gmercy said:

OK that is you keep on repeating the process until it appear no more

yeah,  consistency is the key.  if the writer's block persists then i must be consistent in eradicating it. 

The most helpful thing for me when writer's block hits: Free writing! I write 2 or 3 pages full of what goes on in my mind. And if there is totally nothing then I write something like "I don't even think at the moment. There's nothing going on in my thoughts." and so on. Just write write write. And then there's one point where I realize my head started working on the actual project and what I write changed from free writing to writing for the project. It almost always works.