Sign in to follow this  
BDS

Those who can't, teach

Is there any mileage in the idea that teachers are less accomplished artists? The expression, those who can't, teach seems to suggest so.

Edited by BDS

An existing expression does not need to be true... I would be cautious with these kind of catchy statements.

I am not an artist myself but I have found incredible professionals that also had teaching vocation. I suposse it depends on the personal experiences of each of us.

This post doesn't really belong in the artist listing. I think it's more appropriate for 'let's talk about art' or 'the artist's life.'

But in the interest of discussion, I will say that the saying is kind of true, and kind of false. I think people who give up entirely on a field of study to teach in it instead are probably people who couldn't compete, but there are a lot of professionals who teach on the side to support their work. In the end, you can only judge by an individual's circumstances.

it is very difficult to get a great teacher.... because only a few people love to teach and have enough intellect ... they deserve respect .... but teachers who are fooling kids and society ... are doing a very wrong job ... it affects the tender brains of innocent kids getting wrong knowledge from stupid teachers

Interesting comments.  I ran a dance studio for 17 years and prior to that worked as a performer and choreographer in fringe.  I now run a children's ballet school.

Many performers supplement their performance work with teaching work. For many teaching is merely a  way to supplement income.  However there are amazing teachers who have skills performers simply don't and could never possess. It takes absolute dedication to be good at one or the other. It is unusual to be a sublime artist and a superlative teacher at the same time. Great teachers are sometimes the  reason why some students become wonderfully successful artists in their own right.

Teachers and  artists enjoy an inextricable  relationship. Teachers are indispensable and provide the bedrock necessary to nurture the professional artists of today and tomorrow. Passionate teachers are inspired by the curiosity students display while learning and students are motivated by the encouragement and support offered by teachers.

Both have an integral role in the arts, and  interdependently serve to inspire the other.:)