Sign in to follow this  
Cahoot

How do you listen to your music?

Lately I've been starting to really get into music, especially FLAC, and was wondering what kind of setups do you guys have so that you can take every advantage of the lossless format? Most stuff otherwse seems to be pretty compressed, so while EQ helps a lot to make it tolerable, I don't think that just my headphones would cut it for FLAC...

I mostly listen to vinyl and real cd's. I do have Spotify and listen at the highest quality. Adding a bit in the low-end, but maybe that's my personal preference.

On 2-4-2018 at 6:13 PM, hardartbest said:

what is the meaning of FLAC and EQ?

FLAC is Free Lossles Audio Codec. A codec to compress audio without the loss of quality.

EQ is equalizer.

4 hours ago, P.E. said:

FLAC is Free Lossles Audio Codec. A codec to compress audio without the loss of quality.

EQ is equalizer.

Correct.

Listening to uncompressed music and having the ability to adjust it will blow your mind if you have only been listening to un-EQ'd, highly compressed stuff. It's really weird how much better and more full even the free web version of Spotify (I think it's like 192 kbps stream) will sound with some decent equalization.

Even though I have good headphones, I'm ashamed to admit I mostly just turn on YouTube playlists (of the best videogame soundtracks, if you're interested). It's not the best audio quality, but it's just convenient for me.

As not everything is on Spotify, and I do not own all records  I might want, YouTube is a good way too listen and discover music. 

Quality is a bit low sometimes, but still very do-able.

1 hour ago, P.E. said:

As not everything is on Spotify, and I do not own all records  I might want, YouTube is a good way too listen and discover music. 

Quality is a bit low sometimes, but still very do-able.

But still YouTube can be a very hit an miss especially with older content, considering how the source was probably some 96kbps MP3 file that was butchered by then then-in-use YouTube compression algorithm. Now I don't consider myself an audiophile at all, but most stuff on YouTube just 5 years old is too horrible to even listen to because of the low quality.

Sometimes quality is indeed too low to have a good listen. 

Bandcamp is a good way to discover new music as well. Free streaming still has a good quality. When buying music you can choose between Flac & 320kbs MP3. I always download both, use Flac for at home, and MP3 for mobile or in my car.

Music motivates me in every activities I do but I choose my music on each activity like when I do running I choose some fast beat music to be aware of my running form!

On 04.04.2018 at 12:13 PM, P.E. said:

EQ is equalizer.

I do not think that you can compress a song without losing quality.