Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/6/2018 at 4:31 PM, hj27 said:

I have doubts about this one. cyberpunk worlds are related to a high advanced technology with low level living conditions. People is usually individualistic, with resistance to states that are usually controlled by large corporations. Examples: William gibson novels, Blade Runner, some of Neal Stephenson novels, Ready Player One, Daniel Suarez books... All of them (I think excellent examples) involve both: high technology & low level living conditions. They are usually worlds where most of us would not like to live in (this is simply an opinion.... not something to discuss).

It's complex to me to relate these kind of universes to "Society is equivalent to America with a Canadian style healthcare system". Well, I really do not know the details of America nor Canada, but my ideas are different.

 

Maybe I'm simply wrong. Don't you see a problem here?

 

How. Does it already have a rol controlling society? Does it govern us? How was the risks related to it controlled?

 

Are there new ones?

Why?

 

 

 

I’m not sure about the religion thing, but the democratic government on Epoch, despite the healthcare, is corrupt and the crime rate is high, with a large amount of them being violent crimes. The police respond to violent crimes with more violence, contributing to the already high murder rate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2018 at 3:31 AM, hj27 said:

I have doubts about this one. cyberpunk worlds are related to a high advanced technology with low level living conditions. People is usually individualistic, with resistance to states that are usually controlled by large corporations. Examples: William gibson novels, Blade Runner, some of Neal Stephenson novels, Ready Player One, Daniel Suarez books... All of them (I think excellent examples) involve both: high technology & low level living conditions. They are usually worlds where most of us would not like to live in (this is simply an opinion.... not something to discuss).

It's complex to me to relate these kind of universes to "Society is equivalent to America with a Canadian style healthcare system". Well, I really do not know the details of America nor Canada, but my ideas are different.

 

Maybe I'm simply wrong. Don't you see a problem here?

 

I don't really see the problem with this, because the keyword here is "usually". If anything deviating from the same old we've seen over and over and over again sounds like a good and fresh approach to me. If every steampunk-ish thing was just a re-skinned Blade Runner that would get old very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 4:56 PM, Cahoot said:

I don't really see the problem with this, because the keyword here is "usually". If anything deviating from the same old we've seen over and over and over again sounds like a good and fresh approach to me. If every steampunk-ish thing was just a re-skinned Blade Runner that would get old very quickly.

I can understand that, but "genres" have certain attributes that serve to define them. If you change significant ones then it's another thing, not the same genre. I think, of course, you can innovate inside a certain genre with some twists, but these kind of restrictions I also think that force authors to be more creative.

BTW, do you know any cyberpunk novel where the world is not blade runner like somehow? I'm curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 3:16 AM, hj27 said:

I can understand that, but "genres" have certain attributes that serve to define them. If you change significant ones then it's another thing, not the same genre. I think, of course, you can innovate inside a certain genre with some twists, but these kind of restrictions I also think that force authors to be more creative.

BTW, do you know any cyberpunk novel where the world is not blade runner like somehow? I'm curious.

I think that forcing yourself to the same slot as everyone else, just switching couple names around is far from innovation, and while genres do indeed reflect the content in the grassroots level, looking too much into them just leads into people arguing over that, instead of focusing on the actual subject matter at hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/4/2018 at 6:31 AM, Cahoot said:

I think that forcing yourself to the same slot as everyone else, just switching couple names around is far from innovation, and while genres do indeed reflect the content in the grassroots level, looking too much into them just leads into people arguing over that, instead of focusing on the actual subject matter at hand.

I suposse it depends in the % of change. I you read my response you'd certainly see that I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that if you moved your rational a bit further you would find yourself in a mixture of genres. That's not bad, but it would be a different thing.

Restrictions help creativity. If you don't have restrictions any solution is equally valid, and this does not foster innovation.

 

My question is still open. I repeat it here in case you missed it:

On 12/4/2018 at 10:16 PM, hj27 said:

BTW, do you know any cyberpunk novel where the world is not blade runner like somehow? I'm curious.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×