Sign in to follow this  
AdamsEve

Can we embed art into ArtByte like cryptokitties?

I was just thinking that CryptoKitties is a thing on the Ethereum blockchain. That made me think that we could potentially sell digital artwork on the ArtByte chain with the right technical backing. @Admin  Not sure what this would look like exactly, but I thought we could get artists to sell their artwork on the blockchain, and you could transfer ownership between different ArtByte addresses. This could be proof of ownership, but also a form of actual ownership of the artwork itself.

Can we brainstorm here?

i would say whynot, but current road map which Aby dev. team fallows, i havent seen such a thing. sure roadmap can be updated and its alot of work but again without hard work u cant gain.  i was also thinking about smartbridge/lightining network but this things are not known to all and at test fase. maybe in the next updated roadmap who knows. but smartbridge can be also big thing in near future and its easy to implant with little code and without soft fork or etc. for who dosent know smartbridge, smartbridge its like exchange on fly. u can send artbyte or recive artbyte from diffrent blockchain when its done u can send ur btc or anycoin to simply to artbyte adres and it will be converted via an exchange and send to ur wallet and it will work viceversa too send aby to any other crypto adres which suppoprts smartbridges. Anyway if Aby blockchain can be use buying/selling arts and art galerys adopts it that would be great for Aby. 

I think that the technical possibility for a system like this was confirmed by @Adminsomewhere on the forums, just can't seem to find that post right now. I think that while for most artists something like this wouldn't really be of much benefit, I can see there being some use cases for it, and I'm sure that something like this will be implemented to ABY in due time.

I think it's feasible. The deployment of Segwit I understood that makes posible to even have smart contracts, that I think open even more complex capabilities.

9 hours ago, Cahoot said:

I think that the technical possibility for a system like this was confirmed by @Adminsomewhere on the forums, just can't seem to find that post right now. I think that while for most artists something like this wouldn't really be of much benefit, I can see there being some use cases for it, and I'm sure that something like this will be implemented to ABY in due time.

I Also remember reading about this. I Think they wanted to create an option to register authorship. I Find the idea very interesting but I don't really know how it will work.

14 hours ago, Martin said:

I Also remember reading about this. I Think they wanted to create an option to register authorship. I Find the idea very interesting but I don't really know how it will work.

While I'm not a developer, I would assume that essentially it would work by just having a single token that would contain the identification data of the piece, and having that token in a wallet you own would be a proof of the ownership. So effectively the whole crypto thing in smaller scale to match the need.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:33 PM, Cahoot said:

While I'm not a developer, I would assume that essentially it would work by just having a single token that would contain the identification data of the piece, and having that token in a wallet you own would be a proof of the ownership. So effectively the whole crypto thing in smaller scale to match the need.

I See. That would make sense. You would have to be careful when buying art then. You would have to know that there is a token associated with that artwork.

19 minutes ago, Martin said:

I See. That would make sense. You would have to be careful when buying art then. You would have to know that there is a token associated with that artwork.

Yes, there would have to be some sort of a database where you could look up information like this, and then you'd use a smart contract to verify the validity of the token if you were to sell/buy it yourself. I'm not very sure about how useful and easy to use a system like that would be though.

43 minutes ago, Cahoot said:

Yes, there would have to be some sort of a database where you could look up information like this, and then you'd use a smart contract to verify the validity of the token if you were to sell/buy it yourself. I'm not very sure about how useful and easy to use a system like that would be though.

You might also be able to embed some sort of id code into an image if it's a digital image and for physical art you could add an qr code.

23 hours ago, Martin said:

You might also be able to embed some sort of id code into an image if it's a digital image and for physical art you could add an qr code.

The problem with those is that they're very easily counterfeited, but I'm sure that someone much smarter than me would be able to come up with a worthwhile solution for the problem. The validity of the token itself is easy because of the blockchain, but the actual item that token refers to...

On 5/6/2018 at 1:51 PM, Cahoot said:

The problem with those is that they're very easily counterfeited, but I'm sure that someone much smarter than me would be able to come up with a worthwhile solution for the problem. The validity of the token itself is easy because of the blockchain, but the actual item that token refers to...

Yes I know. That's a hard issue to deal with. But if it is made by a well known artist then you could easily add references on your official website.

48 minutes ago, Martin said:

Yes I know. That's a hard issue to deal with. But if it is made by a well known artist then you could easily add references on your official website.

True, but I think what should be the focus is exactly the opposite of the big names, in order to promote artistry in general and make system easily useful for everyone. Which I'm sure will happen in due time, but I reckon they'll always need to rely on third party information somewhat.

On 5/8/2018 at 2:03 PM, Cahoot said:

True, but I think what should be the focus is exactly the opposite of the big names, in order to promote artistry in general and make system easily useful for everyone. Which I'm sure will happen in due time, but I reckon they'll always need to rely on third party information somewhat.

I Think the biggest thing ArtByte can do for smaller artists is make it easy to sell their art trough their platform. But I think that is already on the ArtByte roadmap. I Would love to see more ideas on how a platform for the ownership could be implemented on the ArtByte blockchain.

21 hours ago, Martin said:

I Think the biggest thing ArtByte can do for smaller artists is make it easy to sell their art trough their platform. But I think that is already on the ArtByte roadmap. I Would love to see more ideas on how a platform for the ownership could be implemented on the ArtByte blockchain.

It is, yes, and I think that the next actually big news from ABY down the road will be the artist pages and in general that whole system, as it's a very integral part in growth and as long as it's a success, ABY in general will most definitely be as well.