Jump to content
CChris

ABY for Ledger Nano S & Trezor

Recommended Posts

There are different kind of wallet systems available for all those Crypto-Coins.
Paper-Wallet, Wallet apps for your Smartphone, Desktop Apps and also Online Wallets.

But also, you have specialized Hardware wallets, such as the Ledger Nano S or Trezor - and I just wanted to know, if there is a plan to include support for such a Hardware Wallet also for ArtByte?

I know, that currently there are other points where the team should focus on - and the desktop wallet is working well for me - but maybe, supporting a hardware wallet, where other "big coins" are supported could also be a benefit for ABY?

What do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, CChris said:

There are different kind of wallet systems available for all those Crypto-Coins.
Paper-Wallet, Wallet apps for your Smartphone, Desktop Apps and also Online Wallets.

But also, you have specialized Hardware wallets, such as the Ledger Nano S or Trezor - and I just wanted to know, if there is a plan to include support for such a Hardware Wallet also for ArtByte?

I know, that currently there are other points where the team should focus on - and the desktop wallet is working well for me - but maybe, supporting a hardware wallet, where other "big coins" are supported could also be a benefit for ABY?

What do you think?

I think this is very potential idea, why not ? hardware wallet is really needed 

The team should consider your idea :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

If they would make a support for hardware wallets, that would definitely help some people. For now I think the ArtByte community is still too small to give attention to this. 

I reckon that this is the case, after all the support needs to come from the hardware wallet manufacturer's side. But as a Ledger Nano S user I definitely support this idea, there's never too much security in the world of cryptocurrencies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

If they would make a support for hardware wallets, that would definitely help some people. For now I think the ArtByte community is still too small to give attention to this. 

Maybe the community is still too small - and the value of one ArtByte isn't really worth of it at the moment.
But since I have bought one device, to get started with all this Crypto-Stuff... and now ABY is the only Coin I am really able to use - I would really like to have this option ;)

No... I can fully understand why they don't have the focus on this part atm... but maybe, if the coin is reaching a higher value, they should consider this as an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CChris said:

Maybe the community is still too small - and the value of one ArtByte isn't really worth of it at the moment.
But since I have bought one device, to get started with all this Crypto-Stuff... and now ABY is the only Coin I am really able to use - I would really like to have this option ;)

No... I can fully understand why they don't have the focus on this part atm... but maybe, if the coin is reaching a higher value, they should consider this as an option.

If you have 1 BTC or 500k ABY, it is both a lot of money worth and I understand that you want that to be safe. But @Cahoot said it must come from the manufacturer. I think they only support the largest coins and it is impossible to support all those smaller coins like ArtByte still is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hm... Maybe - maybe not.
As far as I have heard, they are currently working on another app for the Ledger Nano S - because right now, you need to have a chrome app for the different coin.
If they are able to include different coins within one wallet app (like other are currently do [Jaxx]  - it should be possible to include also smaller coins.

Basically, they are all very similar - and most wallets are on the same code-base (with some modifications)... so I think, it could work.

And yes - this is part of the manufacturer - but I thought, if it could be possible to get into a partnership with those manufacturers... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never read myself in hardware wallets, so I might be wrong of course. 

Your comment on same code-based wallets makes sense. I think this can make it easier to support more coins, but again I don't know what direction those manufacturers want to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they want to sell their stuff :)
And in fact, they are supporting those coins, where customers will see a real benefit compared to a paper or desktop wallet.

So - they are currently supporting the big coins like of course BitCoin, BitCoin Cash, Ethereum, but also some smaller like ripple - what most people are currently buying in the hope to become millionaires.

So, right now, ABY is no issue for those vendors - but I thought this from another point of view:

If someone is already using such a hardware wallet - he might be interested in alt coins - and he would like to get as much as he can from this device.
So, if ArtByte could get an app for those wallets, maybe, the interest in ArtByte could be grow.

But ... on the other hand:
Most of those peoples aren't artists.
AND: a Hardware wallet will lead to the situation, that you HOLD most of your coins.

But this isn't what ArtByte wants to achieve.
It should be used as a currency - you should use your coins. (at least for now)...

So... after rethinking this idea, I am not sure, if it could be a right solution or not :-/
But also, after I have had purchased this device when I decided to start with Crypto currencies, I just want to have at least one coin that I could use with it... ^^

So, again, I need to wait, until the exchange markets are open again *damn*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CChris said:

AND: a Hardware wallet will lead to the situation, that you HOLD most of your coins.

Not necessarily. As they are meant for keeping your coins safe and easily accessible (compared to cold/offline wallets) I don't really see this as an issue. Sure it's easier to use coins from a web wallet than a desktop wallet, and easier from a desktop wallet than a hardware wallet, but there's the security aspect that many of us care for even if it means that spending becomes a bit more cumbersome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://trello.com/c/4Aa7Ug5a/20-altcoin-support-information

 

Given how Ledger has migrated away from the fee-based inclusion of projects, and instead looks more for the viability of coins, offering their SDK and help with the coding I think that bringing this idea back up would be beneficial. I would really like to see ABY supported on the Ledger for ease of use and having it in the same place as I have most of my other crypto, so hopefully this will get implemented in the future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, hj27 said:

You can enter into their twitter channels, and just ask for it.

If many people ask for ABY support they may consider to support it.

 

https://twitter.com/trezor?lang=es

https://twitter.com/ledgerhq?lang=es

I dont want to be pessimistic about this, but i think the community is still small to drive this. Still, i have done my bit by making the request.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, hj27 said:

You can enter into their twitter channels, and just ask for it.

If many people ask for ABY support they may consider to support it.

 

https://twitter.com/trezor?lang=es

https://twitter.com/ledgerhq?lang=es

Like written in the link I provided, that's not exactly how it works anymore:

Quote

 

Ledger is not contracting coin support through paid integration anymore. Integration of new cryptocurrencies is done through internal evaluation criteria (market cap, community reach, etc).

Developers are welcome to build integrations based on our SDK (please refer to our Developer Slack community).

 

They provide the SDK for the coin developers to work with, and there is no more fees associated with the support, which is why I brought this point up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Cahoot said:

Integration of new cryptocurrencies is done through internal evaluation criteria (market cap, community reach, etc).

Yes, but I understand this reinforces my point. If they value community reach and they received enough requests via their social channels, I think there would more chances of them supporting ABY.... Haven't I understood the link properly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hj27 said:

 

Yes, but I understand this reinforces my point. If they value community reach and they received enough requests via their social channels, I think there would more chances of them supporting ABY.... Haven't I understood the link properly?

What that means is that there is an actual, active community, and while I don't know their internal metrics, it's probably a combination of the forum of the project and their social media (Telegram, Facebook, Twitter, Reddit...) outreach, and ABY is doing pretty well on all those fronts. It's not about how many people submit requests directly to Ledger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×