ArjenDesign

Favorite Distinctive Artstyle

As artists, we both create and enjoy a lot of artistic or creative media.

I'd like to discuss what movies, games or series have your favorite unique artstyle. This is less about technical prowess and more about creativity, though technically impressive works are welcome too.

In terms of movies, I really love the style of Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea. I highly recommend that you look up these films if you're into animation.

song-of-the-sea-2.jpg

In terms of games, I really love the style of Bastion and Transistor. Supergiant games has really knocked it out of the park with the presentation all their games.

2075488-bastion_2011_12_03_02_52_54_34.p

What games or movies with a unique style are your favorites? Please let me know! 

I don't really have anything specific in mind, good art is good art regardless of how it's done. That said I do like CGI art a lot, although there's massive variation in how good something actually is. Also digital drawings with some airbrushing are close to my heart.

On 7-1-2018 at 11:37 PM, CChris said:

hm... I don't have such kind of favorites.
But there is one move, that I really like - from the perspective of art.

it is called "Melancholia"

That is a very cool trailer with some amazing effects! But I was more thinking in the direction of something completely artificial, like an animated film, series or game.

On 8-1-2018 at 12:08 AM, CryptoGeek03 said:

I've heard some good things about song of the sea now, so might should it give it a look soon! Some years ago I started with some basic animation, it learned me how time-consuming it is and made me respect animated movies a lot more. 

Yeah, animation is one of the most labor intensive forms of art. Let me know what you think of Song of the Sea after you watch it, would love to hear your opinion!

On 8-1-2018 at 5:10 AM, Cahoot said:

I don't really have anything specific in mind, good art is good art regardless of how it's done. That said I do like CGI art a lot, although there's massive variation in how good something actually is. Also digital drawings with some airbrushing are close to my heart.

Are there examples of CGI art that really stick out to you as the best?

55 minutes ago, ArjenDesign said:

That is a very cool trailer with some amazing effects! But I was more thinking in the direction of something completely artificial, like an animated film, series or game.

:) Ah OK!
In this case, I haven't anything specific.
But just a comment about the film I have mentioned - it's not the "effects" that I wanted to point out - the movie itself is just the type of medium which is transporting different artistic styles and types that I like.

1) lightning: It is just visible sometimes in the Trailer, but the Lightning is just fantastic.
You have a landscape image at night - with a warm / white light from the moon on the left - and a cold, blue light from the right from the "new planet".
All shadows are doubled - and - the whole image is very symetric... just a GREAT composition.

2) hidden details in the storry
There are a view hidden details, that you may not figure out directly while watching the movie for the first time

So, this movie is really some special kind of art... there are a lot of still lives and other visual artstyles...
I don't mean "just the movie by itself as an artstyle"... hope, I was able to make clear, what I mean ... ^^

Like:
While you have a lot of animation films that are "quite good" - there are a view, that are using special techniques and visual styles - which makes them stand out from the rest.
And the Movie "melancholia" is one of those films... and I think, it could have a great inspirational effect to others artists... like musicians, painters, photographers...

sundial.jpg

On 07.01.2018 at 11:32 PM, ArjenDesign said:

I'd like to discuss what movies, games or series have your favorite unique artstyle. This is less about technical prowess and more about creativity, though technically impressive works are welcome too.

In terms of movies, I really love the style of Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea. I highly recommend that you look up these films if you're into animation.

song-of-the-sea-2.jpg

In terms of games, I really love the style of Bastion and Transistor. Supergiant games has really knocked it out of the park with the presentation all their games.

What games or movies with a unique style are your favorites? Please let me know! 

I also am developing graphic structures for video games) and of the known ones I'm most attracted by the world of warcraft

11 hours ago, ArjenDesign said:

Are there examples of CGI art that really stick out to you as the best?

Not really, as I do like a wide variety and it's always interesting to see what and how different people manage to use the same technology to create very different styled pieces of art.

On 8/1/2018 at 3:32 AM, ArjenDesign said:

song-of-the-sea-2.jpg

On 8/1/2018 at 3:32 AM, ArjenDesign said:

song-of-the-sea-2.jpg

Oh, i will try to watch 2 filmsthat you recommended :D  I watched trailer, they seem very awesome 

On 12-1-2018 at 3:23 PM, ArjenDesign said:

Yeah, animation is one of the most labor intensive forms of art. Let me know what you think of Song of the Sea after you watch it, would love to hear your opinion!

I will do! Only found a version with Dutch audio (I'm Dutch, so that doesn't bother me), or is it essential to watch with English audio? (Just as an example: I think Disney's Frozen is way better with English audio, than with local audio)

On 14-1-2018 at 1:42 PM, P.E. said:

It might be cliche, but Sin City. First of all the looks and style are very appealing to me. The way how mixed media is applied in this movie is great. Great way of mixing comic- & movie-style.

Heck yeah! That movie is so stylish. The hard black and white, the sparse use of splashes of color, it's amazing.

On 14-1-2018 at 11:32 PM, CryptoGeek03 said:

I will do! Only found a version with Dutch audio (I'm Dutch, so that doesn't bother me), or is it essential to watch with English audio? (Just as an example: I think Disney's Frozen is way better with English audio, than with local audio)

I would strongly recommend going for English if you can, but you can still enjoy the animation in the Dutch version.

I Love the artstyle of Song of the sea, it's been on my watch list for a while. I Also love the style of the Ghibli animation films. I'm especially a big fan of the gouache backgrounds in those films.

As far as more traditional art, I really like the impressionistic style of Monet.

10 hours ago, ArjenDesign said:

I would strongly recommend going for English if you can, but you can still enjoy the animation in the Dutch version.

I'll keep looking then for just another time, otherwise will watch the Dutch version.

5 hours ago, Martin said:

I Love the artstyle of Song of the sea, it's been on my watch list for a while. I Also love the style of the Ghibli animation films. I'm especially a big fan of the gouache backgrounds in those films.

As far as more traditional art, I really like the impressionistic style of Monet.

May I ask if you did watch the English or the Dutch version and if you think it made a difference?

14 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

I'll keep looking then for just another time, otherwise will watch the Dutch version.

May I ask if you did watch the English or the Dutch version and if you think it made a difference?

I Prefer to watch movies in their original language. Although Dutch voice acting is usually pretty good. Sometimes some word references or jokes get lost in the translation. It really depends on your own preference.

Speaking of which, I was reminded of another game that had a huge impact on my style as an artist: Darkest Dungeon.

ecg5zmd7adx2y9oi12pa.jpg

It's full of washed out colors with a few striking colors to contrast, hard shading and disturbing visuals, and it has narration by Wayne June, which makes it even better.