Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
CChris

Board rules

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I just found the board rules with "answering to old posts" after I already answered to some older posts.
Now, I'm just thinking about this - and asking myself, if this is really working for building a growing community.

It's long time ago, when I was administrating Internet-Boards, but as far as I remember, most of the time, rules like this haven't worked well to keep a community active.
Sometimes, there are topics, that are quite old, but a new member has something to say - at least, if they are not moved into an archive or something like this.

Also, there should be a hint somewhere, when a topic is "old".
f.e. a Topic with the last reply on November - I wouldn't say, it is old for a System with a counter for max. logged in Members with 85 in 2015... or?

Of course, there are awards which are given by the user-activity and you need something to measure the activity... but maybe, someone should think about slightly adjusting some rules... ?

These are just some thoughts that came up today by clicking through the topics reallzing that most of them are just "old ones"
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CChris said:

Of course, there are awards which are given by the user-activity and you need something to measure the activity... but maybe, someone should think about slightly adjusting some rules... ?

These are just some thoughts that came up today by clicking through the topics reallzing that most of them are just "old ones"

I don't think it is not allowed to answer on old posts. I've seen some of the reactions and maybe know what they are about. Sometimes, for example, there is an introduction post, and then someone replies to that months later with a welcome, even though the person is not 'new' anymore.

Too make it simple and short, if your answer is relevant to the topic, post it, else don't. This is my opinion and how I use the forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CChris said:

Hi,

I just found the board rules with "answering to old posts" after I already answered to some older posts.
Now, I'm just thinking about this - and asking myself, if this is really working for building a growing community.

It's long time ago, when I was administrating Internet-Boards, but as far as I remember, most of the time, rules like this haven't worked well to keep a community active.
Sometimes, there are topics, that are quite old, but a new member has something to say - at least, if they are not moved into an archive or something like this.

Also, there should be a hint somewhere, when a topic is "old".
f.e. a Topic with the last reply on November - I wouldn't say, it is old for a System with a counter for max. logged in Members with 85 in 2015... or?

Of course, there are awards which are given by the user-activity and you need something to measure the activity... but maybe, someone should think about slightly adjusting some rules... ?

These are just some thoughts that came up today by clicking through the topics reallzing that most of them are just "old ones"
 

Yes,you're right,I think you won't get ban if you make a meaningful post or comments on such post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cgegege said:

Yes,you're right,I think you won't get ban if you make a meaningful post or comments on such post

This would be my guess as well. It's obviously better to use the same topic again even if it's older if you actually have something to add, or have a relevant question, but if the post is nothing more than mere spam then I feel that a warning for it would be justified. And the admin team has kept that line in my opinion anyways, so I don't think that there is any need for fear here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will ban an account for a week or two for blatant posting on old topics, just to build post count. When we see someone post several old topics at one time, with meaningless posts, those are the ones we ban.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok, hopefully, my posts are not meaningless :)
they were not mentioned just to "collect post counts" ... I just saw the topic with the balant posting rules afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just use your common sense. If you see a question from more than a month ago you can assume that the question is no longer relevant and you should not comment on that post. If you see other topics that have not been posted in for a few months you should ask yourself the question if your post is really that important to bump up a topic again.

That being said. I Don't know if this is the right topic to ask this, but can the admins give a little bit more info on which date the forum bonusses are processed. This way we know which date they can be expected to be processed and know if we should or should not contact admins about questions about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

but to be honest: to keep up a forum active, sometimes, older topics should be "reactivated".
A forum is living from the users thoughts on different topics, event if they are older.

Most of the topics here are related to "how does this and this work" - and they could be resolved with just a few answers.
And this is exactly, why there isn't much activity here.

I agree that "stupid" posts and topics that could be seen as spam should be disallowed... topics like "today, the weather is really great" - if you know, what I mean ^^

So, let's try to find out, what kind of content could make the users more active here, without creating to much spam... ?
Could this help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2018 at 2:37 PM, CChris said:

but to be honest: to keep up a forum active, sometimes, older topics should be "reactivated".
A forum is living from the users thoughts on different topics, event if they are older.

Most of the topics here are related to "how does this and this work" - and they could be resolved with just a few answers.
And this is exactly, why there isn't much activity here.

I agree that "stupid" posts and topics that could be seen as spam should be disallowed... topics like "today, the weather is really great" - if you know, what I mean ^^

So, let's try to find out, what kind of content could make the users more active here, without creating to much spam... ?
Could this help?

I think this is necessary as some people will just post for posting sake without considering the subject matter. Rules should be strictly follow by all members.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gates said:

it may be easier to delete or close the ability to write messages in such topics?

If you still have a question related to the topic, than you should have the option to reply. Creating a new topic would be in this case starting all over again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Below is one example of what we consider spam. We have banned two users this week for commenting on multiple threads, one right after the other, with meaningless comments that do not contribute to the conversation. The first offense, we ban for a week, the second for a month, on the third offense we permanently ban the account.

This is a very obvious attempt to build post count just for Rank bonuses.

 

RT8uE2cl.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×