Cahoot

Spreading ArtByte by giving out preloaded wallets?

There was this idea of giving out preloaded ABY wallets at e.g., events or to street performers, and I feel that this is a great idea, but how could one go about with it? I know that QR codes can include the wallet address, but I reckon that giving out the private key this way would probably not be smart, or even possible. So would there be some cost-effective way for one to hand out these types of wallets?

I'd probably want my own wallet and then transfer the value from the card to it. An online service would transfer the value to you. It'd be like redeeming a gift card then you throw away the card after applying to your online account.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:55 PM, AdamsEve said:

I'd probably want my own wallet and then transfer the value from the card to it. An online service would transfer the value to you. It'd be like redeeming a gift card then you throw away the card after applying to your online account.

Ah, I see, like a scratch card with a code you'd insert and then get the funds sent in! Makes a lot sense, actually, and would be very (or well, at least somewhat easier) easy to implement. I might start looking into something like this, could probably make it an all-crypto encompassing platform where dev's could join up to share their funds for new users like that easier.

I think they call this is a paper wallet. You could easily create a business card sized with a QR code for public key and QR code for private key.

This can really take off, but we need smartphone app for iOS and Android, so camera can easily import private key into smartphone wallet. 

That also means we need a light wallet where the blockchain is hosted by ArtByte Foundation much like the ArtByte Explorer.

https://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/

8 hours ago, AdamsEve said:

I think they call this is a paper wallet. You could easily create a business card sized with a QR code for public key and QR code for private key.

This can really take off, but we need smartphone app for iOS and Android, so camera can easily import private key into smartphone wallet. 

That also means we need a light wallet where the blockchain is hosted by ArtByte Foundation much like the ArtByte Explorer.

https://www.coindesk.com/information/paper-wallet-tutorial/

This post is old post now while will bring it up again

2 hours ago, Gmercy said:

The content of the information being passed across is so relevant. I've people giving paper wallet in the form of gift cards as souvenir at an occasion. That's the way to roll now. 

On 4/18/2018 at 6:57 PM, Gmercy said:

There's no harm in reviving an old topic if you have something actual and useful to contribute to it.

I think that the system to import such QR codes should be included in the mobile wallet, and make it just sweep the gifted balance for ease of use.

Yeah, sweep is a good point. If you just import the private key, you don't really know if the paper wallet has been seen by someone else before or in the future. Imagine you import the private key then someone else also has the key. You send money to that wallet address and someone else could pilfer it. If you import the private key, you need to label it, "DO NOT USE - paper wallet" and then send the funds to a public address that only you have the private key to. 

If a sweep function sends all the funds on the paper wallet to your own wallet, that'd be a good & secure feature. You wouldn't need to import the paper wallet's private key and just throw the paper away.

23 hours ago, AdamsEve said:

Yeah, sweep is a good point. If you just import the private key, you don't really know if the paper wallet has been seen by someone else before or in the future. Imagine you import the private key then someone else also has the key. You send money to that wallet address and someone else could pilfer it. If you import the private key, you need to label it, "DO NOT USE - paper wallet" and then send the funds to a public address that only you have the private key to. 

If a sweep function sends all the funds on the paper wallet to your own wallet, that'd be a good & secure feature. You wouldn't need to import the paper wallet's private key and just throw the paper away.

Exactly. I'm not that familiar with sweeping contents of old wallets, as I've only done couple times with BTC, but I'm sure that it could be incorporated somehow. If nothing else, just make that the way that importing a private key works in the first place, it'll only add to the security no matter the circumstances.

Here you have an example, that I think it is quite similar to what you have in mind. There used to be some cases in 2014-2015 with maxcoin, dodgecoin...

0.05BTC.png

However, I think most of them relied in third party services.

There are some vanity generators that can easily  be adapted for ArtByte type addresses. 

https://github.com/exploitagency/vanitygen-plus

Really, all you need is the public key and private just test it by importing the private key and see if you can funds to it. I've done it successfully before.

If you recall, I set up a contest where someone could import the private key to get the money inside.

14 minutes ago, chuotcong said:

I think wallet address is not private key. It's just a name. Everyone can know it without security problems

Correct, but giving out wallet addresses would be useless, as the whole point is to give out a pre-loaded wallet to entice people to join ABY in general. This is why you'd need to include the private key to the QR code, and sweep that to a new wallet for security.

On 4/21/2018 at 9:27 PM, Cahoot said:

Correct, but giving out wallet addresses would be useless, as the whole point is to give out a pre-loaded wallet to entice people to join ABY in general. This is why you'd need to include the private key to the QR code, and sweep that to a new wallet for security.

Concept of public key and private key didn't make sense to me either for a long time. It wasn't until I played around with the QT wallet, import private keys and dumped the private key that I began to understand how the process works. I don't under the technical parts of how these wallet addresses get generated, but I understand the behavior now. Best way to learn is to try it yourself... I learned a lot exporting the online wallet private keys and importing into my desktop wallet.

3 hours ago, AdamsEve said:

I don't under the technical parts of how these wallet addresses get generated,

wikipedia/google is ur friend. here is link how it works        https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Technical_background_of_version_1_Bitcoin_addresses

About spreading Artbyte: there is more than one option.

*a Good working safe faucet (not crackable) bec people loves faucet its fun to do. (dosent matter if it pays 5 coin or 0.5, people would still do it)

*maybe not just tip for an artist but anyone. i mean any twitter or reddit users and u can put minimum requ. like someone has to have atleast 1 month membership. something like that. (u can also put limit like 10Aby)

ofc. we can find or think more ways.

The thing is that faucets require prior interest, and in all honesty they give you pennies, which is worthless in any regards as a tip, and more about helping you understand how the system works on a technical level. What I'm proposing here is a real-world tipping system, which I do understand goes a bit against the whole "fully digital" idea, but which I see as pretty essential in order to make the wider public available of ABY.

I think I can create a fast mockup of my idea so that people would have easier time understanding what I mean.

ZOE    2
On 4/18/2018 at 3:26 PM, Adedunmola said:

The content of the information being passed across is so relevant. I've people giving paper wallet in the form of gift cards as souvenir at an occasion. That's the way to roll now. 

Thanks for the enlightment @Adedunmola 

14 hours ago, King-David said:

There is no way people easily understand what you are passing across because in it query is it's viability and strength when just accept whatever you gave then question yourself 

I have to admit that I don't understand what kind of a point you are trying to make. Care to elaborate?

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.