Jump to content
Cahoot

Tipping on ArtByte forums

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Adedunmola said:

THE IDEA IS GREAT BUT DOES NOT WORTH THE STRESS OF INTEGRATING SUCH BOT INTO THE WEBSITE. SINCE WE ALREADY HAVE OUR WALLET ADDRESS IN OUR PROFILE, ANYONE WHO FEEL LIKE TIPPING OTHERS IN THE FORUM CAN EASILY COPY FROM THEIR PROFILE AND TIP. THANKS.

True, but this is essentially same as saying that internet banking is a worthless invention because you could just as well go to the bank and have the money wired to the recipients account, because ultimately in both ways the money will reach the correct person. What I'm proposing is just a matter of making things much more streamlined.

Think of it this way: on Reddit you have up and down votes to judge whether or not the content brings any value to the discussion. It's much easier to actually participate when you have a clear cut way like that, instead of actually having to take the time to write your agreement to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cahoot said:

True, but this is essentially same as saying that internet banking is a worthless invention because you could just as well go to the bank and have the money wired to the recipients account, because ultimately in both ways the money will reach the correct person. What I'm proposing is just a matter of making things much more streamlined.

Great example! In the end the same system must be used, but it is about the effort to get the info into that system.

I rarely think when I see art on this forum: oh lets check their profile and search for a address to send a tip. When you post your art and their is directly a tip button (or something like that) next to/above/beneath the post, which for example only shows their address and a link to the web wallet or some other wallet, I think people are more likely to tip other members than think of the idea themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

Great example! In the end the same system must be used, but it is about the effort to get the info into that system.

I rarely think when I see art on this forum: oh lets check their profile and search for a address to send a tip. When you post your art and their is directly a tip button (or something like that) next to/above/beneath the post, which for example only shows their address and a link to the web wallet or some other wallet, I think people are more likely to tip other members than think of the idea themselves.

It'd be like when you "like" a post, the person liking the post would automatically tip from their wallet to the artist wallet. That'd be pretty seamless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Cahoot said:

True, but this is essentially same as saying that internet banking is a worthless invention because you could just as well go to the bank and have the money wired to the recipients account, because ultimately in both ways the money will reach the correct person. What I'm proposing is just a matter of making things much more streamlined.

Think of it this way: on Reddit you have up and down votes to judge whether or not the content brings any value to the discussion. It's much easier to actually participate when you have a clear cut way like that, instead of actually having to take the time to write your agreement to them.

I understand your point bro. Now it's up to the admin and the dev to consider and take step. Programming can be a pain in the ass though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AdamsEve said:

It'd be like when you "like" a post, the person liking the post would automatically tip from their wallet to the artist wallet. That'd be pretty seamless.

That indeed would be seamless, but hard to make as you have to have your wallet connected to the forum. Getting back to the pop-up, this also could show when you 'like' a post. I'm a programmer myself and just a pop-up or visible tip button would not be so hard to implement. Automatic transactions with coupled systems are really (as Adedunmola said) a pain in the ass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

That indeed would be seamless, but hard to make as you have to have your wallet connected to the forum. Getting back to the pop-up, this also could show when you 'like' a post. I'm a programmer myself and just a pop-up or visible tip button would not be so hard to implement. Automatic transactions with coupled systems are really (as Adedunmola said) a pain in the ass.

A System like the tipping bot on Reddit seems like a good idea to me. Although instead of having to make a post for a tip I would like to see a button on the post like the "like" button as you mentioned. I Rather see the tips going trough a global tipping account instead of direct tipping that needs to have your address exposed. Because from a privacy point of view this is not wanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Adedunmola said:

I understand your point bro. Now it's up to the admin and the dev to consider and take step. Programming can be a pain in the ass though. 

Sure, not saying it'd be easy, but I suppose it shouldn't be too hard to implement the online wallet to the forums via an API or something. Would probably be the easiest way to have it work more or less as a one-click solution. But I agree, let the ABY team decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

looks like for under the hood, it is doable to use a custom URI such as artbyte://AawfsNhDFBdVrYGqk64aG6JGrXcVySDQY is doable. 

https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4987/bitcoin-url-scheme

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/7087728/custom-protocol-handler-in-chrome

We need more real forum users, particularly artists we want to give to, before I think this can be a priority.

Perhaps OpenAlias could be an option too where our forum user name and/or e-mail could be the address we tip (like Twitter & Reddit). Your actual ABY wallet doesn't need to be disclosed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/25/2017 at 6:24 AM, AdamsEve said:

Perhaps OpenAlias could be an option too where our forum user name and/or e-mail could be the address we tip (like Twitter & Reddit). Your actual ABY wallet doesn't need to be disclosed. 

I suppose, yes. But since practically everyone does have their wallet address publicly listed in their profile for the forum posting reward, I think that as a "first generation" solution simply using that sort of a system would be by far the easiest one to implement.

But it's good to see that the ABY team is taking interest in this idea, even if it's something just in the backburner for the time being! Great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For now, every artist please include artbyte address everywhere you can. Sometimes I want to tip but it is not included with your work title. Please include it everywhere you think is tasteful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2018 at 7:28 AM, AdamsEve said:

For now, every artist please include artbyte address everywhere you can. Sometimes I want to tip but it is not included with your work title. Please include it everywhere you think is tasteful.

This would really help with adoption. Forum and website profiles are always easy ways, but if available forum signatures work perfectly for this sort of thing as they're automatically added so you don't need to remember it yourself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cahoot said:

This would really help with adoption. Forum and website profiles are always easy ways, but if available forum signatures work perfectly for this sort of thing as they're automatically added so you don't need to remember it yourself.

Yes, signature would be useful, but I hide signatures. Location on the left side is good for me. For artwork, I think they should include ArtByte address as a tag or in the description.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AdamsEve said:

Yes, signature would be useful, but I hide signatures. Location on the left side is good for me. For artwork, I think they should include ArtByte address as a tag or in the description.

Absolutely would be neat if that information section below the avatar included a little ABY logo that would link to the user's ABY wallet address. IIRC something like that should be included in IPB (this forum software) by default, so it's just a matter of configuring the name of the field and enabling it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2018 at 5:27 AM, Cahoot said:

Absolutely would be neat if that information section below the avatar included a little ABY logo that would link to the user's ABY wallet address. IIRC something like that should be included in IPB (this forum software) by default, so it's just a matter of configuring the name of the field and enabling it.

On Windows, if you copy and paste my ABY address and do Windows+R... and paste artbyte://artbyteaddress , the ABY wallet will open automatically. It will fill in the Pay to field with the ABY address. So, all you have to do is fill in the quantity. 

Can you try here... try the link with ABY wallet not open and once again after ABY wallet is open. From Chrome, IE, or Edge web browser, it doesn't work for me.

test link

But doing it via Windows+R works -- ArtByte://AawfsNhDFBdVrYGqk64aG6JGrXcVySDQYa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×