Admin

Watching the ArtByte SegWit rollout on the live blockchain

The ArtByte source code enabling SegWit was released on Sept. 26th. The lock in of SegWit is a multi-week process as miners upgrade to the SegWit code and certain thresholds are met.

You can follow the progress on http://www.artbyte.me/segwitcsv-progress-tracker/

kPRLhIPl.png

Also, if you have a bitcointalk account please post that you are following the SegWit rollout on this thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2212213.0

@Bushstar @Admin Thanks again for all your hard work. I'm sure it is chaotic sometimes managing new features, performing existing duties, etc.

With a SegWit wallet, do I understand correctly that we need to use new SegWit enabled wallet addresses as well? And the address receiving also has to a new SegWit enabled address? 

1 hour ago, AdamsEve said:

@Bushstar @Admin Thanks again for all your hard work. I'm sure it is chaotic sometimes managing new features, performing existing duties, etc.

With a SegWit wallet, do I understand correctly that we need to use new SegWit enabled wallet addresses as well? And the address receiving also has to a new SegWit enabled address? 

No, you keep your old address, which is in the wallat.dat file. Upgrading to SegWit does not affect this file.

Though we always recommend that you backup your wallet.dat file and keep it in a safe place

On 29-9-2017 at 6:39 PM, Admin said:

No, you keep your old address, which is in the wallat.dat file. Upgrading to SegWit does not affect this file.

Though we always recommend that you backup your wallet.dat file and keep it in a safe place

I know I should backup my wallet, so I just wanted to do that. Except I can't find the wallet.dat file? It is not in my ArtByte folder, where also minerd and artbyte-qt are. 

3 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

I know I should backup my wallet, so I just wanted to do that. Except I can't find the wallet.dat file? It is not in my ArtByte folder, where also minerd and artbyte-qt are. 

Easiest way is to make a backup of wallet.dat using the ArtByte desktop client.

yvIGqD6.jpg

You can also back it up using command prompt if you want.

They really need to change the name AppleByte to ArtByte, but for now, your wallet.dat is at:

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Applebyte

aka

%AppData%\AppleByte

Just now, CryptoGeek03 said:

@AdamsEve Thanks for your reply, i've searched my complete D drive and forgot to look into my C drive. The backup option through the wallet is indeed very easy.

Is the backup only necessary to do once or should you make an backup after new transactions?

I'd say encrypt with password and backup daily with sequential file names so you have multiple versions you can work off of. Personally, I back up my wallet about once a week and give them the date (e.g. 170930 wallet.dat) on my flash drive & dropbox. Whatever you feel comfortable with...

5 minutes ago, AdamsEve said:

I'd say encrypt with password and backup daily with sequential file names so you have multiple versions you can work off of. Personally, I back up my wallet about once a week and give them the date (e.g. 170930 wallet.dat) on my flash drive & dropbox. Whatever you feel comfortable with...

Thanks again, things are getting serious now so I would be stupid if I did not make backups. I will try some things out to see what suits me the most!

5 hours ago, AdamsEve said:

You only need one backup, because in the backup there is nothing more than your public and private keys - that's the whole idea of a blockchain ;) This is why paper wallets work in the first place: there is nothing more than one string of letters and numbers to save. Also if you're storing the backups in the cloud, you really, really, really need to encrypt them before uploading, because otherwise you're essentially just sending your information out there for someone to pick out and use your coins for themselves.

Files can get corrupted, so if you at least have an older version of wallet.dat you can restore that instead of having a corrupted wallet.dat -- Not likely to happen, but redundancy gives you a way to recover from a disaster.

10 hours ago, Cahoot said:

You only need one backup, because in the backup there is nothing more than your public and private keys - that's the whole idea of a blockchain ;) This is why paper wallets work in the first place: there is nothing more than one string of letters and numbers to save. Also if you're storing the backups in the cloud, you really, really, really need to encrypt them before uploading, because otherwise you're essentially just sending your information out there for someone to pick out and use your coins for themselves.

That is what I was hesitating about. If the file saves you're addresses/keys or also transactions. So thanks for clearing that up for me. Good tip about the cloud, I only use it for non-important files. For everything else I use external drives.

3 hours ago, CryptoGeek03 said:

That is what I was hesitating about. If the file saves you're addresses/keys or also transactions. So thanks for clearing that up for me. Good tip about the cloud, I only use it for non-important files. For everything else I use external drives.

There is slightly more than keys in your wallet.dat

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Wallet

On 9/28/2017 at 12:12 AM, Admin said:

The ArtByte source code enabling SegWit was released on Sept. 26th. The lock in of SegWit is a multi-week process as miners upgrade to the SegWit code and certain thresholds are met.

You can follow the progress on http://www.artbyte.me/segwitcsv-progress-tracker/

kPRLhIPl.png

Also, if you have a bitcointalk account please post that you are following the SegWit rollout on this thread.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2212213.0

Nice the integration is really going good, hope to get some Artbyte coins soon on Cryptopia and hold it!

On 10/2/2017 at 12:17 AM, CryptoGeek03 said:

The cloud is not the best way to deal with, I give you that, but for someone like me who moves around constantly anything heavy that I can drop from my backbag is a win. I might look into getting a Ledger Nano later down the road, but at least for the moment looking at my portfolio it probably wouldn't make much sense. Hopefully in the future though!