lerocknrolla

A short piano fantasy based on the word "ArtByte"

Hello all,

Since I don't have a website or social media presence up yet, I thought I'd do something fun for my introduction.

Many composers have used ciphered versions of people's names as musical themes. (see wikipedia for more on this) I decided to do something like this with the name "ArtByte", so I assigned a note to each letter according to this table, using English note names:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G
H  I  J  K  L  M  N
O  P  Q  R  S  T  U
V  W  X  Y  Z

So "Art" would become the notes A D F, and "Byte" would become B D F E. I took these notes as inspiration, played around with them until I had something cool, wrote it down and did a home recording (you can hear the theme at the beginning and the end of the melody, and I wrote the letters on the score too):

I only had a digital piano and the computer's microphone handy today, so it's nothing extraordinary, but if people are interested, I'll go to a proper piano and record it better!

If you like this, I'd be very happy to receive some ABY here: AQJLFbp7HpYBgrxt9dTjVZnBLhyaw5pLxo

Cheers!

Thank you! I got the idea to use a cipher from Ravel's Menuet sur le nom de Haydn; he's one of my favorite composers and musical heroes.

I didn't consciously have any inspiration other than those notes, but I never know what else is lurking down there in the subconscious. :P Sometimes, a couple months later I'll look at the piece and it's extremely obvious what I was thinking, but it's hard to tell in the moment. :)

On 8/30/2017 at 11:55 PM, lerocknrolla said:

Hello all,

Since I don't have a website or social media presence up yet, I thought I'd do something fun for my introduction.

Many composers have used ciphered versions of people's names as musical themes. (see wikipedia for more on this) I decided to do something like this with the name "ArtByte", so I assigned a note to each letter according to this table, using English note names:

A  B  C  D  E  F  G
H  I  J  K  L  M  N
O  P  Q  R  S  T  U
V  W  X  Y  Z

So "Art" would become the notes A D F, and "Byte" would become B D F E. I took these notes as inspiration, played around with them until I had something cool, wrote it down and did a home recording (you can hear the theme at the beginning and the end of the melody, and I wrote the letters on the score too):

I only had a digital piano and the computer's microphone handy today, so it's nothing extraordinary, but if people are interested, I'll go to a proper piano and record it better!

If you like this, I'd be very happy to receive some ABY here: AQJLFbp7HpYBgrxt9dTjVZnBLhyaw5pLxo

Cheers!

Very creative. I'll love if it can be lengthy. Kudos to you. 

18 hours ago, lerocknrolla said:

I took some liberties with the rhythm, in the name of expression! :P What parts did you find different? Feel free to PM me, if you prefer.

That's the freedom of art! In my opinion your piece lasted much longer than just the two lines of notes. Maybe I got dragged away :P